In the current market organisations must remain adaptable and change ready and in most cases the means a more dynamic structure that can flex and adapt more freely and quickly.
In my opinion that means a more flexible structure made up of dynamic teams.
If that’s true then how do you build a network of dynamic teams? It takes time but the good news is that there is an innate desire in all of us to be part of a great team so a consistent and collaborative effort, involving all team members, will ultimately deliver something special.
Being part of a team at this level is amazing and something you will cherish and remember forever.
Although there are many steps to building great teams, here are 5 things you should include if you want to build a powerhouse of dynamic teams within your organisation:
- Start with culture. A dynamic team is a product of it’s organisational culture and will reflect the values and principles of the company. Nothing drives people to collaborate more effectively than a common cause. A clear mission with a culture that is aligned to that mission allows teams to more easily communicate and support each other.
- Define the roles, clearly. A team will not be successful in its pre-stated goals if there is confusion or ambiguity. Make sure all team members have clearly defined roles and responsibilities. Implement a robust set of KPI’s and expectations and then empower people to achieve those outcomes. If every member of the team fully comprehends and understands their goal, and role, they will be far more effective.
- Be open and transparent. Trust is essential for team success. Openness and honesty are the building blocks of trust. Along the road of organisational success there will be frequent hindrances to meeting the goals and objectives of the business. Communication is the only way to combat these obstacles. Consider roles like ‘Liaison Officer’ to ensure that communication is a constant, 2-way, open channel.
- Review, review, review. The most effective teams constantly review their performance by recognising what they are doing well and what they need to do differently.
- Celebrate. Give credit and appreciate when it’s due. We are all human and love a bit of recognition.
Building a dynamic team can take time but is one of the most rewarding things you will ever do.